Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Suggestions anyone?

Here's my dilema: (Is that how you spell it??)

#1 Due to Jack's recent run in with some bad food he now has permanent kidney damage and needs to eat a different, prescription food than the other two cats for the rest of his days here on earth AND for the next 7 days he is on antiobiotics to continue to flush/fight the junk in his system. So, I need to keep Jack's food away from Smokey and Zoey but have NO idea how to do this. Last night he was locked up in Hannah's room but that meant that I had litter boxes and food in 2 locations and those of you that know me know that I can't stand mess (and litter is so disgusting). AND I can't keep them apart ALL day long. Suggestions?

#2 How in the world do you get a cat to take a pill? I chopped it up and put it in Jack's food but he won't touch it. I tried holding him and shoving it down his throat but Hannah and I were almost scratched to death. The vet makes it look so easy....

I am searching the internet for ideas but thought that one of you might have a good suggestion. Aunt Lucy???

3 comments:

twinmommy said...

OMG....I can't believe you have a cat affected by the food epidemic. I'm sooo sorry. When I've had to give a cat a pill in the past, I always did the "shove it down the throat" thing. Maybe you and Hannah can work out a system. Have Hannah hold Jack in a death grip (try swaddling him in a blanket tightly with only his head exposed), then you can do the pill shoving.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Jack is sick. At least he's still with you. I know what you are going through. I've dealt with special diets and pilling in the past.

In regard to pilling Jack, swaddling in a baby blanket or bath towel (I prefer bath towels) may help. Before swaddling, coat said pill in a wad of soft butter or margarine. It may go down easier, and the butter will disguise the taste.

When Jack is swaddled and the pill is ready, one of you should hold him swaddled. The other, probably you, Melissa, because you have bigger hands, should capture his head from the back and use that hand to pry his jaw open. With the other hand, project the pill as far back into his throat as possible. (Has anyone made a pill slingshot for cats?) Call me if you can't figure out the grip and I'll try to come show you. I'm sure Nana knows the grip, but she's out of town for now.

Now, for the feeding: can you afford a sizeable crate for kennel? If so, feed Jack inside the kennel. He will learn to eat all of his food in one 15 minute session (you'll be teaching him to eat like a dog) if he knows his time in the kennel is limited.

Auntie Mo said...

Aunt Lucy and Amanda - So happy to report that I only have one day left of forcing a pill down Jack's throat. We SHOULD invent the pill slingshot because it has been a huge struggle! I have done everything short of sitting on top of him to keep him pinned down. Jack is doing so much better and I am still shocked that we are having to deal with this - what are the odds??? Thanks so much for both of your advice!!